As a Canadian Operations Accountant at The North West Company (NWC), you are accountable for the accurate and timely preparation of financial statements, and providing accounting guidance and support for Giant Tiger, Warehouse, Logistics, Health Products & Services and Healthy Horizons business reporting units.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
• Accurate and timely preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual operating statements, and value-added variance reports, that meet internal requirements in accordance with reporting deadlines;
• Liaise with internal parties and Giant Tiger Corporate Office to ensure information required for the preparation of financial statements is accurate, verifiable and received on a timely basis:
• Provide accounting and financial analysis support to applicable business units and other internal parties;
• Monthly preparation and review of balance sheet reconciliations, with escalation of unresolved reconciling items to the associated business unit in a timely manner;
• Monitor compliance with policies and procedures through process reviews. Identify opportunities for improvement and recommend for approval, policies and procedures for new business unit processes;
• Develop reports and provide value-added analysis to assess operational performance and identify opportunities for improvement;
• Initiate and monitor process improvement and value-added opportunities through to implementation, engaging necessary resources and authorizations where required; and
• Integrate new business initiatives into the Canadian Operations group through either the creation of new, efficient processes or integration in to existing departmental processes.
• Post-secondary business education, with focus on accounting and finance;
• Completion of a professional accounting designation or enrollment in the late stages of a recognized professional program is an asset;
• 4-6 years of experience in preparing and reviewing financial statements;
• Previous experience within an accounting office in a retail related business would be an asset.
• Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of internal and external customers;
• Experience with developing financial models is beneficial;
• Experience using Microsoft Office products with advanced knowledge of Excel;
• Must be detail conscious while maintaining a high degree of accuracy; and
• Excellent organizational and prioritization skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks while working within strict timelines.